Door County Chefs get creative in the kitchen on a regular basis – and we just love it when they share their favorite recipes! You may not run a bed and breakfast, but when you have house guests, it’s nice to be able to offer them a hot meal in the morning. Here is a great recipe from the White Lace Inn B&B for the Spicy 3 – a cheesy egg bake with a cornbread base! The best part is that you can make this dish night before and bake in the morning (it takes a little less than 1 hour to bake), so you can serve up a hot, unique breakfast dish to your own overnight guests.
Join the White Lace Inn’s e-Newsletter to receive more great recipes, and call to book your romantic stay for Valentine’s Day 2014!
Spicy 3 – Cheese Cornbread Egg Bake from White Lace Inn
- one 8 x 8 pan of cornbread (this can be your favorite recipe or a boxed mix like Jiffy)
- one small loaf of homemade bakery white bread, crusts removed
- 1-1/2 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cup grated Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheese mixed
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 4 oz. can green chili peppers (mild)
- 7 eggs
- 1-1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cup half & half
- 1-1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 ripe tomato
- Bake cornbread in 8 x 8 pan and set aside to cool.
- Spray the 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray or wipe with butter.
- Cut the white bread without the crust into crouton size cubes and place them in the 9 x 13 pan.
- Drain green chili peppers and spread over the bread.
- Sprinkle 1-1/2 cup cheddar cheese over green chili peppers.
- Cut 8 oz. cream cheese into cubes and place over the cheddar cheese.
- Cut cornbread into chunks and sprinkle over cheese.
- Dice the tomato and sprinkle over cornbread.
- Spread the 1-1/2 cup of mixed cheese over the bread.
- Beat the eggs with the milk, half & half, and dry mustard.
- Pour over the egg mixture over the entire pan as evenly as possible.
- Cover and refrigerate over night.
- Bake, covered with tinfoil, for 35 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Uncover and bake another 20 minutes.
After you take the egg bake from the oven, let it rest 10 to 15 minutes before serving. You can serve with Tabasco sauce, Texas Gunpowder or salsa. If you would like to add meat, cut up 1smoked ham center cut slice and put it in before the cornbread layer.
Yield: One 9 x 13 pan serves 10 people.